Spinach Rice in an easy, healthy and delicious one pot meal that can be cooked in a jiffy with very few ingredients.Made with aromatic Basmati rice and nutritious baby spinach this dish is vegan, flavorful and gluten free.This can be served as a main dish or a side and is loaded with fiber, protein and vitamins.
How is spinach important?
Spinach is a superfood. It is loaded with tons of nutrients in a low-calorie package. Hence it is essential to know how to choose the right kind, store them and how to prepare dishes using Spinach. Read all about it here.
Why is spinach rice a favorite dish?
Spinach rice is a quick, easy, flavorful and healthy one pot meal.It is also called Palak Pulao in India ( Palak means Spinach, Pulao is a festive rice dish)
What’s more, Spinach rice combines the starch and vegetable in one dish, making for easy cooking and saving you time in the kitchen.
What is Pulao/Pilaf?
Pulao or Pilaf is a rice dish, whose recipe usually involves cooking in water, stock or broth. A rice dish made by adding spices, and other ingredients such as vegetables or meat.The success of a good pulao is based on achieving cooked grains that do not adhere.
What dishes are best paired with Spinach rice/Palak pulao?
- It can be eaten as a vegetarian or vegan main dish
- It can be served as an accompaniment to meat
- As an accompaniment to seafood, or
- As an accompaniment to poultry.
- Turn it into a rice bowl and place slices of chicken or grilled shrimp, right on top for a complete meal.
Spinach rice recipe
- Amount Per ServingCalories1663
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 18g 28%
- Saturated Fat 13g 65%
- Sodium 205mg 9%
- Potassium 1365mg 39%
- Total Carbohydrate 338g 113%
- Dietary Fiber 17g 68%
- Sugars 7g
- Protein 36g 72%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Variations of Spinach rice
There are many variations of spinach rice throughout the world, from
- Greece where it is called spanakorizo
- Mexico where it is known as arroz verde
- For vegan cooking water is used to make Palak Pulao in India
- Chicken broth can also be substituted in place of water for a flavorful Spinach rice /Palak pilaf
- As baked casserole with a few herbs and Parmesan cheese.
The Bottom Line
Did you enjoy the quick and easy Spinach rice recipe? Are you going to give it a try in your kitchen?
Share your feedback in the comments section below.