Spinach is a superfood. It is loaded with tons of nutrients in a low-calorie package. Hence it is essential to know how to choose the right kind, store them and how to prepare dishes using Spinach.
Dark, leafy greens like spinach are important for skin, hair, and bone health. They also provide protein, iron, vitamins, and minerals.
How to choose?
- Look for crisp , fresh and green& vibrant spinach leaves
- Avoid spinach that looks yellow , wilted, slimy or moldy and looks like it has insect damage.
- When purchasing bagged greens, avoid bags with too much excess moisture, as this can cause rotting.
What season is best to grow them?
How to store?
- Spinach stays fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days if it is loosely wrapped in a damp paper towel.
- Storing in a plastic bag wrapped in a paper towel will help absorb excess moisture, helps keep them dry & prevent rotting.
How to prepare?
- Rinse spinach leaves under cold running water, after you pick them off their stems.Rinsing can be done in a colander so all the sol stuck to it washes off.
- Use a salad spinner or pat dry the leaves dry to remove excess moisture before serving or cooking spinach
List of my recipes using spinach
The links to my previously published Spinach recipes are attached below for your interest.
- Spinach Mash/Kadaintha Keerai
- Chickpeas in Spinach Soup/Chole Palak
- Spinach Fritters/Keerai Vadai
- Spinach Flat bread/Palak Phulka
- Spinach Lentil Curry/Keerai Kootu
- Spinach Cream Soup
- Spinach n’ Chicken Curry
- Spinach Mushroom Cheese Quiches
- Malabar Spinach n’Prawn Gravy/Basale Yetti Gravy
- Spinach Rice
For more tips on ‘How to Choose, Store & Prepare’ Seasonal Produce, check out the links below to my blog posts about them, then you will never have to wonder if you picked the right veggies for the week’s cooking .
Here goes …….
Now that you know all about Spinach, how to grow them in your kitchen garden, store them for later use and use them in your recipes, let us know how you have used them in your cooking.
Share in the comments below.