Carrots are humble yet versatile root vegetables.They are known for their sweet, earthy flavor.They are an excellent source of beta-carotene (which is converted to vitamin A in the body), potassium and vitamins K, B1, B2 and B6.
They were originally purple, before being bred to be orange.Thought to have originated in Afghanistan, the vegetable has a number of varieties including orange, purple and white.
How to choose them?
- Choose carrots that are uniformly bright orange and not pale.
- They need to be firm to touch and not soft.
- Their tops needs to be bright green and crisp.
- Their skin needs to be smooth, with no cracks or pitting.
- Avoid choosing carrots that are soft, shriveled or wilted.
How to store Carrots?
- Keep the carrots dry, so storing them in an open bag in your crisper drawer in the refrigerator would be best.
- Cut the green tops before storing to prevent moisture loss.
- Carrots will last for a few weeks in the refrigerator if stored properly.
- Avoid storing them next to fruits that produce ethylene gas, since the carrots age faster next to them.
Meal Planning with seasonal produce
Eating seasonally helps you save money while increasing the amount of flavor and nutrients you are obtaining from your food. So the next time you go grocery shopping, look for seasonal produce that are available that month.
Our E-book : The 12 Monthly Produce Guides, will help you bring home healthy and nutritious produce available each month through the entire year.We have made picking your fruits and the vegetables for the month easy for you, in our E-Book.
Get your copy, by clicking the image below.
Our Monthly Produce Guides, will not only save you dollars, it will also let you shop stress free, saving you much time. What’s more you can meal plan ahead and have the choice of variety in your menu planning, for the week/month.
How to prepare recipes using carrots?
As an ingredient, they are quite versatile; their sweetness means they can be used in desserts, but they are also used in salads, chutneys, dips, hummus and as an accompaniment in meat dishes.
They can be eaten raw, boiled, steamed or roasted .They can be served as a snack or a side dish too.
Some of our recipes using carrots are listed below.
Click on the recipes to be taken directly, to our blog post.
- Carrot soup
- Vegetable Soup
- Vegetable Kurma
- Carrot Paniyaram with Tomato Onion chutney
- Carrot Stir Fry/Poriyal
- Carrot Chutney
The Bottom Line
How do you use carrots in your recipes? Feel free to share any helpful tips or recipes, with our community here. We help, learn and grow each day!
If you find our post helpful and got to try any of our recipes, do share your feedback on the comments section below. We would love to hear from you.
You can also find us on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram, we would love for you to follow us there!
I’m often to running a blog and i really recognize your content. The article has really peaks my interest. I am going to bookmark your web site and preserve checking for brand new information.