The Eggless Caramel Apple cake is the perfect Fall cake to make with the apples that are in plenty, this season.A deliciously gooey recipe, where fresh crisp apples meet caramel scrumptiousness.
Infused with Fall spices like cinnamon and topped with caramel, this moist cake is a hot favorite and can be eaten plain or with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.
A quick and easy recipe, can be made with a single bowl and a whisk.There is absolutely no need to use a hand mixer, unless you want to use one.
What are the best apples for baking this cake?
We all like delicious crispy apples, right? Some of us eat it plain or some others dip it in peanut butter, before taking a bite, either way they taste good. Baking with apples however is a different story.
The best apples for baking keep their structure, and do not turn mushy with the heat of the oven.They need to remain as chunky little crispy bites even when baked.
There are 5-6 varieties of apples that suit these needs the best. They are:
- Jonagold -These apples are tart with a honeyed sweetness.They hold up exceptionally well in the oven. They don’t store well, however, so use them early in the fall at their peak.
- Honeycrisp – The “go to apples” when it comes to baking in our opinion. Their crisp texture is guaranteed to hold firm, in the oven and their juicy sweet and tart taste is a sure winner. They are delicious eaten plain or in a baked recipe .These were the apples of our choice for this recipe.
- Braeburn – This superbly crisp apple has a concentrated taste and bakes up juicy but not mushy.
- Mutsu /Crispin – They are similar in flavor to Golden Delicious, in that they are less tart and are firm fleshed. They retain their structure well when it comes to baking .
- Winesap -Intensely flavored with deep cider-y notes, they will hold their own flavor in any recipe even if mixed with other dry fruits like figs. These apples resist breaking down during cooking and deliver great complexity to baked goods.
- Pink Lady : Balanced between sweet, tart, and tannic notes., this apple will retain its distinct shape when baked.
Personally, I wouldn’t use Granny Smith apples for this recipe ( though they are baking apples) simply because the cake does not stay that long in the oven, with this one, for the apples to be softened.
Tip : Remember when it comes to baking with apples, we’re looking for a specific type, for a specific purpose.
For this recipe, you don’t even have to peel the apples, just chop them into little even chunks and add them in.
Would you use cake flour?
Since I did not have cake flour handy, I used all purpose flour for this recipe.It turned out soft and delicious.
Using cake flour makes your cake softer and more tender.
Is cake flour the same as all purpose flour?
Cake flour is a low protein flour that’s milled into a fine consistency. It contains about 7-9% protein, while all–purpose flour, a harder flour, has anywhere between 10-12% protein.
Cake flour’s lower protein means less gluten is formed as you mix the batter together.
It is your preference totally.
What caramel sauce do I use?
You can use a store bought caramel sauce or make one at home yourself.
For this recipe, we used a store bought caramel sauce.
How to make caramel at home?
If you are planning to make your own, here are the steps to follow:
- Stir 1 cup of sugar, 2tbsp corn syrup and 2 tbsp of water together in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 5 minutes, until the mix starts to brown.Remove from microwave and set aside for another 5 minutes till the mixtures starts to darken to a rich honey brown.
- Slowly add 1/2 cup of heavy cream into the hot mixture and continue stirring to prevent lumps. You can always microwave for a minute if the mixture starts to lump.
- Now to this add 2 tbsp of butter and 1 tsp of vanilla extract, whisk together and it is ready to use.
- If not using immediately store it in the refrigerator in a tight sealed container to use it later.Warm slightly before using .
You can make the caramel sauce in advance which makes it super easy and quick to throw this cake together. If the sauce has been refrigerated, warm it up in the microwave for a minute or so to loosen it up before using in the recipe.
What is the egg substitute used in this recipe?
Since all our recipes are eggless, we use Flaxseed powder to substitute for eggs.
Soaking the Flaxseed powder (3 tbsp) soaked in lukewarm water ( 6-8 tbsp) will soften the flaxseeds into a fine paste.This paste is then added to the recipe instead of eggs.
We have always got soft, moist and fluffy cakes using flaxseed powder each time.
Note : If you are using eggs, then you may add 1 egg per 1 tbsp flax seed powder.
Can I use plain yogurt for this recipe?
- Plain yogurt/curds
- Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
You could use any of the above for this recipe. They all work!
Do I need to use butter for this caramel cake recipe?
This cake is a no butter recipe, unlike most cake recipes.
Any type of neutral flavored oil like canola, avocado or sunflower oil, works well in this recipe.Do not be tempted to substitute butter, as the oil keeps the cake light yet moist at the same time. And the flavor is delicious.
What kind of cake pan do I use for this recipe?
You can use an 8 or 9 inch cake pan, with the sides at least 2 inches tall.Here are some choices for you to pick from.
When the cake starts to bake, you will find the caramel starts to find its way up the sides of the pan or bubble over the pan, hence a sheet pan works well for this recipe.
Once you remove the cake from the pan, you can serve the cake as is or can brush more caramel sauce on the sides and top before you serve.it is totally up to you, as to how sweet you want to make your cake.
Eggless Caramel Apple Cake Baking: Step by Step pictures
Caramel Apple Cake recipe
10 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories365
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 12g 19%
- Saturated Fat 1g 5%
- Cholesterol 2mg 1%
- Sodium 248mg 11%
- Potassium 237mg 7%
- Total Carbohydrate 65g 22%
- Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
- Sugars 26g
- Protein 3g 6%
- Vitamin A 1%
- Vitamin C 2%
- Calcium 10%
- Iron 6%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
List of my other baked recipes
Check out my other baked bread recipes below, if you wish to try making some in your own kitchen.Some sweet, some savory, for your interest.
- Banana Bread
- Avocado cake
- Strawberry cake
- Raspberry Avocado cake
- Pumpkin Buns/Rolls
- Chicken Stuffed Buns
- Apple Pie in Cheese Boats
- Eggless Braided Date Bread
- Eggless Apple Pear Cinnamon Bread
- Eggless Caramel Apple Cake
The Bottom Line
Give our Eggless Caramel Apple Cake a try, with the apples you brought from the orchards this season. Let’s assure you once you do, it will soon become your family’s favorite Fall cake.It is that good.
Be it for potluck parties or family gatherings, our Eggless Caramel Apple cake is going to be a sure winner.This flavorful cake remains moist as long as it lasts, if it lasts at all !
Oooh, this looks so dense and rich! Sinful!
Thank you. Dig in or give it a try, you will see that it tastes as good as it looks 🙂
This looks so yummy and I think I can sub the plain yogurt for a plant-based yogurt to keep it dairy free. Flax eggs are such a great egg replacement in baking dishes. Can’t wait to try this!
Absolutely, you can sub the plain yogurt for plant based yogurt in this recipe.Being highly allergic to eggs, the minute I found out that little secret of subbing flaxseeds for eggs, I never stopped baking 🙂 Do give our recipe a try & share with us your feedback on how it went. Can’t wait to hear!
Looks delicious. I would sub in pears for the apples as I am allergic, but it would be a perfect Fall dessert!
Thank you.Yup, it would work perfectly with pears too.Do let us know how it turned out for you, when you give our recipe a try. Always love the feedback!
I’ve never heard of a caramel apple cake, but it looks amazing!
Thank you. Do give our recipe a try, you are going to love it!
Wow this sounds interesting!
Thank you, so appreciate your kind words.
Sounds amazing! And I might be able to veganize this recipe.
Thank you.Absolutely possible to veganize this recipe.Would love to hear your feedback on how it turned out for you.
This looks so good!!
Thank you.It tastes good too 😉
This recipe look so delicious. I love cooking with apples this time of the year. I’m sure the boys would like to try this cake.
Absolutely what we are doing at our end too.So many recipes to try with apples this season. Glad you loved ours. Thank you!
What a great recipe! Thank you for sharing.
You are most welcome. Enjoy!