Dates & Nuts Ladoo : This quick and easy Indian candy is a sugarless healthy treat. It can be made in a matter of minutes. A big favorite among kids & fussy eaters. Packs a punch with all the healthy nutrients in the dry fruits & the fiber content of the dates. A perfect winter weather treat for growing kids in their snack box treat for lunch time. The high nutrient content keeps the kids energetic & active for a long time.
Our first snow fall
We had our first snow fall this morning….and it’s only October 30th! Needless to say we do not need another BOO for Halloween this year, winter seems to have arrived early in our parts. As enchanting as the landscape turns during the first snow of the season, I am not looking forward to winter.
How to do you prevent winter blues?
Growing up in a land filled with sunlight, snow was totally new to me. Much as I loved the four seasons of the Midwest, winter was my least favorite, for obvious reasons. Each year, I try to be creative with ways, I can entertain myself & keep away the winter blues. Some of my successful attempts at it are listed below, take as you may. I am sure to add more to the list as the years roll on.
- Keep active
- Hygge your home
- Cook delicious food
- Make loads of soup
- Dress up in bright happy colors
- Focus on the positive
- Connect with your loved ones
- Communicate your thoughts & share laughter with friends
- Eat healthy
- Get enough sleep
- Get light/sun therapy & load up Vitamin D
What does this healthy Indian candy have to do with winter blues?
I totally get it, when you ask, “What does Dates & Nuts Ladoo have to do with winter blues ?” Did we just not get done with Deepavali, where we shared all the delicious Indian sweets with friends & family, so why now?
Well apart from overloading yourself with sweets & savories during Deepavali, it is also wise to spread them thin in a year. This sweet dessert or Indian candy is a healthy treat during the colder months, based on the ingredients it contains. Find out how….
- Dates : Dates are a good source of fiber apart from containing vitamins, potassium, manganese, calcium & magnesium . They are also free of fat and cholesterol.
- Cashew nuts : Cashews contain vitamins C and B, including 7 micrograms (mcg) of DFE folate. Cashews are high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats and a good source of protein.
- Almonds : Every one-ounce serving (about 23 almonds) provides 6 grams of protein and 4 grams of fiber, plus vitamin E ,magnesium, riboflavin, calcium, and potassium . Almonds are a low-glycemic index food.
- Ghee/Clarified butter : Ghee is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin K. It does contain cholesterol since it comes from animal fat.
- Poppy seeds : Within the tiny black kidney-shaped poppy seed is found high levels of dietary fiber, B vitamins and several important minerals, such as calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium and zinc, all of which have been linked to digestive, heart and immune health.
Good nutrition is an important part of leading a healthy lifestyle. In the colder months when there is a slowly down of physical activity level outdoors, it becomes even more important to choose healthy food. Moreover these dry fruits along with the ghee in this ladoo is believed to help maintain our body temperatures much warmer.
We tend to feel sleepy in the colder months, due to the lack of adequate sunlight. This also means we wake up rushed & don’t have a healthy breakfast before our commute in the morning. All you have to do is pop one Date & Nuts Ladoo into your mouth for sustenance until lunch hour !
Same applies for fussy kids & poor eaters in the morn.The ones who refuse to eat breakfast early in order not to miss their school bus. Want to pack it as a lunch hour snack, for them, go ahead, do it now!
- Amount Per ServingCalories3263
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 205g 316%
- Saturated Fat 68g 340%
- Cholesterol 115mg 39%
- Sodium 59mg 3%
- Potassium 4577mg 131%
- Total Carbohydrate 350g 117%
- Dietary Fiber 58g 232%
- Sugars 203g
- Protein 67g 134%
- Vitamin C 5%
- Calcium 69%
- Iron 117%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
So would you like some healthy candies for Halloween ? Please give this a try & share in your comments here how it turned out for you !
Candy time !
Happy Halloween !
Excellent post and thanks for the recipe!
Thank you, for your kind words Catherine.So appreciate you stopping by to check out my recipe. Do give us a feedback when you get to try the recipe, always encouraging to hear from our readers.