Dahi Baingan/Eggplant in Yogurt curry is an East Indian dish made with eggplants/brinjal in yogurt/curds curry. “Dahi” means yogurt/curds, “Baingan” means eggplant/brinjal in Hindi. Dahi Baingan is a mildly spiced flavorful dish which goes very well with Chapati’s/Indian flat breads. Quick & easy to make with just a handful of ingredients, deliciously tasty & creamy.
Which East Indian states are famous for their Dahi Baingan recipe?
What are some variations of Dahi Baingan in other parts of India?
It is also known as Kadi/Buttermilk curry in Gujarat, it is known as Moru Kulambu in Tamilnadu, where various other vegetables are used in preparing the dish. The base still being yogurt or buttermilk.
Why is this dish so popular ?
- This is a perfect dish for beginners, who are just learning to cook, since it hardly requires any extensive preparation.
- It can be prepared in a jiffy since it requires very little ingredients.
- Perfect for friends & family who love mildly spiced food.
- It can be prepared in many variations depending on the influence of different states in India.
What kind of eggplants tastes best in this dish?
Indian eggplants also known as baby eggplants, taste best in this dish. They are purple and spherical and can be found in Indian grocery stores or International Fresh markets
They are small with a dark reddish-purple color.Look for younger, smaller eggplants that feel firm and are not mushy.Read all about how to choose and store eggplant/brinjals for your cooking in my post here.
What are some of the spices used in this dish to flavor it?
The flavor of this dish is provided by the amazing Indian spices that go into this dish. They are..
To learn more about Indian spices and their health benefits, get my E-Book: A Complete Beginner’s Guide to Indian Spices by clicking the image below. My E-Book contains a list of 25 essential spices used in Indian cooking , along with colored pictures to help you easily identify each one of them, apart from teaching you how and when to use them in your cooking, what flavors each one imparts in the dish and their health benefits.
Get it here now!
Why choose this dish?
Eggplants are loaded with dietary fiber and therefore good for digestion as well as weight loss. They are rich in calcium and iron and hence good for bone health.
This dish the Dahi Baingan apart from being vegetarian and easy to make, is gluten free and delicious. The eggplant is succulent and tender in a moist mouthwatering sauce .
What can Dahi Baingan dish be paired with?
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories408
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 41g 64%
- Saturated Fat 35g 175%
- Sodium 41mg 2%
- Potassium 161mg 5%
- Total Carbohydrate 12g 4%
- Dietary Fiber 3g 12%
- Sugars 5g
- Protein 2g 4%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
List of my recipes with eggplants
- Tempered eggplant/Bagara Bhaingan
- Baingan Bharta (Punjabi version)
- Eggplant/Brinjal Thokku
- Eggplant with Fenugreek/Methi Bhaingan
- Smoked Eggplant curry
- Eggplant in yogurt curry/Dahi Bhaingan
The Bottom Line
This is a really easy and tasty Indian dish that is sure to stir up your taste buds. Delicious baingan bharta is ready to eat with rotis, Indian naan, and any kind of flavored or plain rice.
Put your seasonal produce to good use.Give this dish a try now that these fresh vegetables are in season.
Share your comments below.