Cucumber Pancakes/Thekkare Dosa is a soft, sweet, fluffy pancake/dosa authentic to the coastal city of Mangalore, in South India. It is made with just 3 basic ingredients rice, cucumber and jaggery.Traditionally, in the breakfast menu, served withdollops of homemade butter or ghee. Pairs well with spicy chutneys and pickles too.
Table of Contents
What are the health benefits of Cucumber Pancake/Thekkare Dosa?
Cucumber pancake/Thekkare Dosa is packed with nutritional value.
- Rice – provides the carbs, hence the energy
- Cucumber-low calorie and high in nutrient value
- Coconut– apart from adding sweetness to the dish provides fiber content
- Urad Dhal/Black lentils– is high in proteins and vitamin B
- Jaggery – is rich potassium and magnesium
- Fenugreek seeds/ Methi is loaded with health benefits. Read all about it here.
What is a Dosa?
A dosa is a rice pancake, originating from South India, made with fermented batter. It is similar to a crepe in appearance.
Its main ingredients are rice and black lentils/urad dal, ground together in a fine, smooth batter with a dash of salt.
This batter is processed in a blender/wet grinder along with water, and allowed to ferment overnight.This batter is then spread out on a hot pan and cooked similar to a crepe until crisp and delicious.
What does Cucumber pancake/Thekkare Dosa taste like?
Cucumber pancake/Thekkare Dosa with the addition of coconut, jaggery and cucumber is soft and a sweet pancake.
A regular Indian Dosa is a thin, crisp crepe or pancake. It has a slight tangy taste due to the fermentation, and is savory rather than sweet.
Without any filling, on its own it’s called ‘plain dosa‘ that can be eaten with a variety of vegetable curries. It can also be made with filling like potatoes, cauliflower or any number of variations, then it is called Masala Dosa.
Do you know what is in season each month? Did you know you can make your grocery shopping a breeze and save dollars while shopping if you know exactly what to buy and what is in season each month?
Here is my E-Book : The 12 Monthly Seasonal Produce Guides, with a list of vegetables and fruits available each month. My E-Book will help you shop smart & budget wise for the entire year.
What pairs well with Cucumber Dosa/Thekkare Dosa
Cucumber Pancake/Thekkare Dosa Recipe
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories1561
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 22g 34%
- Saturated Fat 18g 90%
- Sodium 574mg 24%
- Potassium 807mg 24%
- Total Carbohydrate 317g 106%
- Dietary Fiber 10g 40%
- Sugars 160g
- Protein 17g 34%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
List of my recipes using Cucumber
- Cucumber Pancakes/Thekkarae Dosa
- Baked Cucumber Cake/ Thekkare Adde (Mangalorean style)
- Mango Cucumber salsa
- Cucumber chutney/Southekayi Sasmi
The Bottom Line
Now that the cucumber season is on and the fresh markets are flooded with crispy, green cucumbers, I hope you will try this healthy Cucumber pancake/Thekkare Dosa recipe this summer.
Please share your feedback on how it turned out for you in the comments section below if you have tried this recipe