Table of Contents
What are chicken stuffed buns?
Chicken stuffed buns are savory golden buns with aromatic chicken fillings that are soaked in a plethora of spices and rest in a pocket of pillowy soft dough.One can serve them as an appetizer, hot from an oven, or alongside soup or salad for a more substantial meal. A perfect and portable “easy on- the -go-snack” to carry on your next road trip or on a hike and also serves as a quick meal.
A vegetarian option can be made with the same recipe, with spiced onions and mixed vegetables and Indian cottage cheese.
What are the different kind of buns out there?
Gone are the days where it’s either the plain bun with sesame seeds sprinkled on top or sliced bread. These days there are so many options listed below, to choose from in your choice for the best burger bun.
- Plain buns or the no frills attached buns are the basic bun for burgers.
- Sesame seed buns are basically plain buns with some window dressing. The sesame seeds provide a bit of crunch and a dash of flavor.
- Potato buns where wheat flour is substituted with potato flour, provide a sturdier bed for a patty and condiments.
- English muffins add a crunchier bite to your burger, when toasted.
- Pretzel buns though thick enough to hold a burger patty, run the risk of the backslider effect due to their thickness.
- Sliced bread may be the reason we consider the burger a sandwich.It’s too thin to hold in all the juices, without turning soggy.
- Ciabatta roll is usually reserved for sandwiches of the traditional kind.This hard-bread outside actually acts to lock in lost juices in the soft inside but also has the disadvantage of the backslider effect due to its thickness.
- Lettuce burger is not technically a bun, however lettuce wrap offers a healthier choice in place of the bun.
- Kaiser roll is an upgraded sesame seed bun, doesn’t offer much in the way of flavor but can definitely hold up a meaty patty.
- Brioche, the flavorful French bun is regarded as the best bun for a burger. Its higher egg & butter content compared to any other breads makes it a favorite choice.
What does adding egg to bread dough do?
Eggs added to dough help with rising. A bread dough rich with egg will rise very high, because eggs are a leavening agent. The fats from the egg yolk help to tenderize the crumb and lighten the texture .
Note: For those of us who are allergic to eggs, I have found soaked flax seeds to be a great egg substitute in baking.
This here, is an eggless stuffed bread recipe.
What happens if you don’t add eggs to bread making?
Eggs help to make your baked goods moist, though the addition of oil or butter in a recipe also serve the same purpose. Skipping eggs is more noticeable in cookies than in cakes or breads.
Eggless cookies tend to turn out flatter and crispier.
What does milk do in bread dough?
Milk creates breads which are richer and have a more velvety texture. Milk makes a softer crust that will brown more quickly due to the sugar and butterfat present in milk, apart from providing nutrient rich bread.
Does milk kill yeast?
Adding warm milk to the yeast, activates the yeast & is applied in baking mostly. Too hot milk/ water can kill yeast, thus causing the dough not to rise.
How do I know if I killed my yeast ?
After 10 minutes, the yeast should be foamy and bubbly and expanding. It should have expanded to fill over half of the cup/jar and have a distinct yeasty smell. This is yeast that is alive and well. If the yeast doesn’t bubble, foam or react, it is dead.
Note : Check the expiry date on the label before soaking yeast.
Does salt kill yeast?
Salt does retard yeast growth. It can kill yeast in concentrations that are too high. In judicious amounts, salt is what brings out the flavor in the bread and controls yeast growth so that the resulting crumb is nice and even.
Can I use milk, instead of water for bread?
Milk changes bread recipes by producing a softer loaf, due to the milk fat content, which also gives bread a richer flavor. Bread made with milk browns more easily than bread made with water, as lactose or milk sugar will caramelize as it bakes.
Why do you cover yeast bread while it is rising?
Keeping the bread dough covered helps prevent drying of the dough and keeps any dust from settling on the dough.
It helps to place the rising dough in a warm, draft- free place in the kitchen, while rising.Cold air will slow down the process just like too much heat will speed up the yeast activity.The flour has to rise slowly for the bread to turn out soft & good.
The Back Story
Being allergic to eggs all my life, I had never really ventured into baking until a year ago. I had always thought baking involved eggs, until a friend made an eggless cake for me on my birthday & brought it for me.My first bite of cake in my life happened very recently.
Having tasted the soft wonder, I wanted to make my own & that started the baking season of my life, literally.I remember being teased by friends all my growing up years telling me that I did not know what I was missing by not eating cakes and they were right,I did not…..until the eggless cake happened to me !
Armed with the knowledge of eggless baking, I ventured bravely into the store that sold baking items and bought myself my first baking set. There was no stopping me now, I was going to whip that recipe off the rack!
Thus began my experiment with this spiced chicken buns, not knowing exactly how they will turn out, yet willing to try. Looking at the pictures, can you tell, that was first time I baked anything? Yup, I am surprised too.
So if you are like me, have an allergy to some food, try other alternatives, once you figure it out, have fun with it.
My culinary world on the baking path was set, venture I did and came back with a tray full of freshly baked ,fluffy, moist, light and soft beyond belief spiced chicken buns. Want to try some?
Here is my recipe…
How to make Eggless Chicken stuffed buns?
6 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories2033
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 82g 127%
- Saturated Fat 15g 75%
- Cholesterol 216mg 72%
- Sodium 349mg 15%
- Potassium 1238mg 36%
- Total Carbohydrate 211g 71%
- Dietary Fiber 11g 44%
- Sugars 21g
- Protein 104g 208%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
List of my eggless baked recipes for your interest
The Bottom Line
Enter, Spicy Chicken stuffed buns.I just love it when something looks so innocent and unassuming and then when you bite into it, BAM! Hits you with an unexpected but most pleasant burst of flavor.
I remember being befuddled in my younger days wondering how they made stuffed buns, now I know ! Do you see how easy it is to make?Would you like to try my recipe?
Please share your feedback in the comments section below.