Fall is almost coming to an end, the weather forecaster predicts more snow tonight. Time for the indoors and the cozy warmth of the fireplace, hot cocoa, spicy food, sweaters & boots, while the countdown for the holidays and the winter break has already begun.
With Thanksgiving and Black Friday behind us, we need to get geared to the coming work week ahead, which means crazy commute to work and back, not to mention the snow we are expecting tonight and over next week. Days are getting shorter, it is dark when you leave to work and when you return, hunger pangs have a way of igniting within, in the colder seasons. Being organized in meal planning for the coming week ahead always is a good thing in these snow days, so let’s say I have been busy cooking this weekend and stashing up my refrigerator, so the transition from a holiday weekend to work week is easy.
Recently while grocery shopping, I spotted thisTeriyaki Pineapple chicken meatballs in the store and picked up a packet ,coz we are big fans of Teriyaki chicken at home.Have never had pineapple in chicken, so it kind of piqued my interest , as to how these would taste in a curry…….. it’s interesting how your creative mind for cooking takes over in the winter months, so here I was experimenting with using Teriyaki Pineapple Chicken meatballs /Kofta in a curry, when I stumbled upon a delicious looking Pakistani Kofta curry on the net, sure enough I had to try it.
So glad I tried it because it turned out delicious and am going to save it as one of our family’s favorite recipes ! Quick & easy & finger licking delicious, the spicy mix and the tangy pineapple with a touch of teriyaki sauce in the chicken meatballs go so well together.The curry is not watery, I made it more like a thick gravy consistency to enjoy the flavors that seeps into the meatballs, they go best with Indian naan & chapati’s/Indian flat breads, one can even savor it with festive rice ( I made Peas Pilaf to go with it, which was also a big hit), either way it is a recipe worth trying during these cold months,I know for certain you will thank me for it, if you are one of the spice girls !!
Here goes the recipe :
Teriyaki Pineapple chicken meatballs ( 1 pack contained 26 meatballs)
Big Onion -2 (finely sliced)
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes – 2 (cubed)
Yogurt/Curd – 1/2 cup (beat it to a fine liquid consistency, avoid lumps)
Garlic – 5-6 pods 9 crushed)
Coconut Oil- 1 tbsp
Cinnamon – 2″
Coriander powder – 1tsp
Red Chili Powder – 1 1/2 tsp
Garam masala- 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves- a few to garnish
Salt- to taste
- In a wok add the coconut oil & ghee, when it is warm, add the spices one by one namely the cinnamon stick, cloves ,cardamom& bayleaves.Allow it to splutter, now add the crushed garlic & sauce a bit till the raw smell disappears .Now add the finely sliced onions to it & continue sautéing till it turns golden brown.Sprinkle the turmeric powder once the onions have turned brown.Now add the finely sliced ginger to it & continue to stir for a few minutes.
- Next add the cleaned chicken meatballs into the mix & stir continuously till they are browned and almost 3/4th cooked.
- Next add the cubed tomatoes to the above & continue stirring while you add the coriander, chili & garam masala powder to it, making sure the chicken meatballs are well coated with them.Add salt to taste.Cover with lid and let the meatballs cook in their own steam.
- Next add the blended yogurt/curds to the above making sure you mix the gravy evenly without breaking the meatballs. Allow it to cook for another 10 minutes with lid covered.
- 5.Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot with Indian flat bread or festive rice.(Find fun ways to beat the cold outdoors, food is a good place to start !)