Our temps are flirting in single digit numbers this morning on GroundHog Day.
It’s too cold to even dream of Spring……..
…………wanting to see green so badly and aching for the color green,I decided to start the day with Spinach/Palak in Phulka’s (Indian Flat bread). The easiest way to incorporate greens in a kid’s diet and to make it a healthy one at that! With a side of sliced cucumbers and spicy prawn roast, it turned the cold weekend morning into a warm fuzzy comfort indoors.
|Whole Wheat Flour||2 Cups|
|Spinach ( Palak )||2 bunches|
|Cumin Powder||1 tsp|
|Mango ( Amchur ) Powder ( Optional)||½ tsp|
|Green Chillies ( Optional)||1 -2 (ground with spinach puree)|
|Coconut oil||1 tbsp.|
|Ghee||to coat the flat breads|
1.Heat some water in a large pan with a little salt and soak the washed spinach in it for a few minutes until you notice the color blanch. Drain the hot water and run the cold water on the blanched spinach.
2.Blend the spinach leaves, green chillies and ginger into a fine paste and set this puree aside.
3.In a mixing bowl add the wheat flour along with the amchur (mango ) and cumin powder, with a little salt to taste . To this gently add the blended puree with a few table spoon of water (optional ) and knead it into a soft pliable dough. It is advised to grease your palms with coconut oil so the dough doesn’t stick to your palms while kneading.Cover it with a cloth and set aside for 10 minutes.
4. Now make small round balls from the dough mix, dust some wheat powder on them and roll them into thin round phulka’s or flat bread.
5. Meanwhile the cast iron tawa/pan that you placed on the stove before starting to roll the phulka’s is hot enough to cook the phulka’s in. Gently apply ghee to one side of the phulka and flip it till it’s slightly browned and do the same the on the other side.
6.Keep covered in silver foil ( considering our temps here!) until ready to serve.
7.Serve hot with a spicy side of prawn roast or similar spicy curries to chase the cold out of your bones. For little kids having a side of sweetened yogurt/curds to dip the phulka’s in, also leaves a lasting taste on their taste buds.
You are all set for the fun weekend to follow !
For my other Flat bread recipes, published earlier please follow the links below :
- Shamrock chips/Flat breads for St. Patty’s Day -https://stirringmyspicysoul.com/2015/03/14/shamrock-chips-flat-bread/
- Banana Flat Bread – https://stirringmyspicysoul.com/2014/01/18/banana-flat-bread/
- SpicyChapati Crumble – https://stirringmyspicysoul.com/2015/05/03/spicy-chapati-crumble/
- Methi Pita Bread with Avacado Filling – https://stirringmyspicysoul.com/2014/02/25/methi-pita-bread-with-avocado-n-mushroom-filling/