It’s summer time here ,everywhere you turn you find delicious, sweet and juicy strawberries and I picked my share of it this weekend.
The temptation to try something new with the fresh fruits in hand was so strong this beautiful weekend……
………..that when I finally decided to try strawberries in a laddoo, I was pretty excited. Had been planning to take a home made sweet dish to the temple this weekend, the laddoo seemed a perfect fit, so here goes the recipe.
Semolina/ Sooji /Rava – 2 cups
Desiccated Coconut Powder – 2/3 cups
Brown sugar – 1 1/2 cups
Ghee – 1/2 cup
Strawberries – 12
Milk – 4-5 tbsp
Cashew nuts – 1/4 cup
Almonds- 1/4 cup chopped
Raisins – 10 – 12
- Wash the fresh strawberries and boil them in 1/4 cup of water, till they turn mushy. Let sit till they cool. Mash them or you can blend them to a fine paste and set aside.
- In a wok add the ghee and slightly warm it. To this add the chopped dry fruits and roast them till they turn golden brown.
- Now add the semolina/sooji to the warm ghee and roast it a little till it turns golden brown on medium flame.
- Now add the brown sugar to the warm semolina and stir a bit.
- To this add the desiccated coconut and mix them altogether till ll the ingredients are well roasted to a golden brown color.
- Now add the cooled strawberry paste to the above mixture, before it completely cools down, (a few table spoons of warm milk could be added at this point for extra moisture if needed) and start making the laddoos with a little handful each time.
- Coat the laddoos with desiccated coconut and share it with friends and family.