Got back home after a beautiful road trip over the long weekend. It has been beautiful this weekend with lots of sunshine and outdoors. The rains had finally stopped. Getting back home and slowly falling into the routine meant, good food to start off with.Something quick and yummy to satiate your hunger pangs, with some home cooked meal , I thought, yet with the right punch of spices to get the whole load of laundry taken care of…so planned a combo of a mild Green Peas Pulao to go with a spicy Chettinad Chicken today. Here is the link for the Chettinad Chicken, that I tried along with this peas pulao.
The recipe for the Green Peas Pulao is as follows….
- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Water- 4 cups
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Green Peas ( frozen) – 1 cup
- Mint leaves- a handful
- Green chillies – 2-3
- Onion- 1 large
- Cashes- a few
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Cardamom – 4-5
- Cinnamon- 2′
- Cloves- 4-5
- Jeera/ Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Star Anise -1
- Mace- 2 strands
- Bay leaf- 1
- Soak the rice in warm water for 30 minutes before you start cooking, this makes it soft & fluffy after preparation.
- Heat oil/ghee in a thick bottomed vessel , when warm add the cashews in, when they start turning golden brown, add the finely sliced onions and saute till they become translucent. Now add the spices & stir for a few minutes.
- To the above add the green chilies and the ginger garlic paste and stir till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the clean & drained rice to the above mix & stir it for a few minutes, before adding the green peas. Stir a little till the peas soften.
- Add salt & water, cover the lid of the pressure cooker & wait for three whistles while setting it on medium heat.
- When it is cool enough to remove the whistle, open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve hot with any spicy chicken preparation or curd raitha, makes for a yummy lunch or dinner.