It’s the Memorial day weekend, the unofficial start to Summer, all signs of it, in the air.The outdoors are beckoning, it is a shame to not step out and miss the joys of what the beautiful weather has to offer, this season.Planning to go trekking, wanting to cook something healthy to take during our trip, I step into the kitchen .The fresh cucumbers I bought yesterday are tempting me to try some new recipe, came up with this traditional Mangalorean (a city in South India) recipe of Cucumber Cake also called Thekkare Adde in the native language, is a favorite of mine from childhood days .Suddenly wanting to recreate the magic, I let nostalgia take over this time around and try my hand at baking this traditional Cucumber cake, in a pie pan.
The cucumbers are surplus in the Fresh market this season, one of the healthiest veggies to use in various recipes, apart from using widely in beauty treatment of removing wrinkles and dark circles around the eyes. Go on try some recipe with cucumber,I have a whole list them for you here, as for me today ,my home is filled with a lovely aroma of baked cucumber cake and cardamom wafting in the air, while the sunlight streams brightly through the patio door, it seems to be a promising weekend indeed! Happy Memorial day weekend, y’all !
- Parboiled rice – 1 1/2 cup
- Cucumber roughly chopped/grated fine – 2 medium size
- Coconut ( Freshly grated or Desicated) – 1 cup
- Jaggery – 1 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom seeds- fine powdered – 1/2 tsp
- Cashew nuts – Optional ( a few)
- Salt to taste
1. Wash the rice a couple of times till the water runs clear. Cover it with enough fresh water and keep aside for 2-3 hours.
2. Wash and peel the cucumbers and cut them vertically, scoop out the pith (seeds) and then chop into small cubes. Grind the chopped cucumber and grated coconut to a fine paste.using a blender or grinder, add very little water only if required.
3. Add the soaked rice and grind to a coarse paste until a thick consistency is acquired. Use water sparingly to grind.
4.Add the powdered jaggery, cardamom pods and salt to taste and continue to grind until all the jaggery has dissolved and there are no lumps. Finally add the ghee and pulse for just a few seconds till well mixed.
5. Grease the pie pan with ghee or butter. Preheat oven at 350 for 10 minutes.
6. Pour the ground batter into pie pan little by little, and then add in the chopped cashew nuts. Bake for an hour till the skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Remove it from the oven ,allow it to cool on a wire rack for about 15 minutes. Invert the pan and allow the pieces to cool completely
8. Pack to go or serve and enjoy!
Other ways to make this preparation and to use Cucumber in different recipes:
This Cucumber Cake is usually steamed and is more like a pudding rather than the consistency of a firmer cake, since it does not use any leavening agent.You will find my steamed version here –
STEAMED CUCUMBER CAKE ( MANGALOREAN STYLE)
Another different version of making my Traditional Cucumber cake is here –
TRADITIONAL CUCUMBER CAKE /NESEL ADDE /GENDA-DHA-ADDE
The Fresh market is filled with Cucumbers this season and you can use them in so many different ways in your kitchen like my Cucumber Pancakes/ Thekkare Dosa –
CUCUMBER PANCAKES/ THEKKARE DOSA
Here is another version of my Eggless Cucumber Cake/Tausali, which also uses Cucumber as a part of the recipe-
EGGLESS, LOW-FAT CUCUMBER CAKE /TAUSALI
One can use Cucumbers in Making Thai Spring Rolls, which is also a healthy and light breakfast, you will find my recipe here for Thai Spring Rolls-
THAI SPRING ROLLS